General Laborer - Waco, TXApply Job ID 926-2 Date posted 06/05/2018
Are you looking for a career opportunity with growth potential? Join Loram!
**NOTE** If you apply for this position all communication withapplicants will be done via email. Please check your email on a daily basis.
**PAID TRAVEL**OVER TIME**
The General Laborer,Fleet Operations is responsible for safely and efficiently supporting crewmembers who operate and maintain the railroad maintenance machines inaccordance to guidelines set forth by the FRA, our customers, and LoramMaintenance of Way, INC. (Loram).
THIS POSITION STARTS AT $14.00 PER HOUR FOR NEW HIRES WITH OT
Time and a half is paid after 40 hours per week plus OVER TIME. Typical work hours are 12-14 hours per day and 70-75 hours per week. Hours may be longer or shorterdepending on operational needs. Room for advancement: 90% of General Laborers
who are employed with the company for 2 years receive a promotion in that timeand 50% will have received at least 2 promotions.
Loram offers medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, 401K with match, and many other benefits.
**PAID TRAVEL. LODGING PROVIDED**
There is NO per diem for this position. Employees are responsible for allpersonal expenses including, but not limited to, food, phone and laundry. Loram does pay for hotel/motel rooms and all work-related travel to and from the job site (flights, buses, etc.).
1 – 2 Years:Demonstrated technical skills such as mechanical, electrical, hydraulic ormachine operations
1 – 2Years: Demonstrated ability to learn communicate verbally and inwriting and learn best practices
*Or equivalentcombination of education and experience.
Special licenses, othereducation, certification or professional memberships:
Certification: New Hire Training
Railroad: Maintainrailroad safety training and certifications
Loram Operating Rules Certification
All Loram Required E-Learning, On the Job, and3rd Party Safety Training
- Pass e-RailSafe pre-employment background check
- Pass a pre-employment company hair follicle drug test
- Pass a post-offer employment physical abilities test
- Pass a motor vehicle check consistent with Loram’s Driving Policy
- Pass a pre-employment DOT drug and alcohol test
- Pass a pre-placement medical evaluation including DOT Physical Exam
- Can stand, sit, walk, reach, balance, stoop, kneel for long periods of time
- Ability to lift tools and equipment of 75lbs or greater
- Can hang onto grab irons or ladders, sometimes for extended periods of time
- Can see up close, distances, colors and has use of peripheral vision and depth perception
- Must be able to travel 100% of the time, including international, using any method of transportation
- Loram provides all work related transportation including transportation to and from your assignment for scheduled time off
Loram provides paid hotel/motel accommodations while you are on assignment
- Must be able to perform physically strenuous work outdoors in all types of weather
- Work will require extended time away from home
- Must be available to work irregular hours, including holidays, weekends, days and nights for long periods of time
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment
- Ability to apply high levels of cognitive, analytical, retention and reasoning
- Consistently follows safe work processes, procedures and rules
- Understands on track safety and can explain specifics when asked
- Able to locate all emergency equipment and demonstrate correct operation to superintendent
- Able to read and understand safety rules and regulations and perform tasks in accordance with those rules
- Must be able to pass the required examinations; read and understand safety instructions, operations book of rules, and Loram Standard Operations Procedures
- Must be constantly alert to changing conditions and events and take safe responsible action if required
Machine Operations andTechnical Knowledge
- Able to explain basic equipment functions
- Cleans and lubricates equipment
- Inspects the machine to identify problems, defects, changes, and hazards; then communicate conditions to the operator or supervisor
- Demonstrates general knowledge of tools and uses them safely
- Repairs and replaces defective parts
- Performs maintenance and repair according to set schedules and policies
Communicating on the Job
- Understands and applies verbal/written instructions and asks clarifying questions to ensure understanding before beginning tasks
- Provides accurate feedback that allows machine leadership to make operating decisions
- Asks for feedback and clarification when necessary
- Effectively use a radio to indicate when to start, stop, or changes in a job task
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to operate as a contributing member of a team
- Consistently and reliably reports to work on time, including reporting back to work from time off
- Is consistently and reliably ready to work at the start of every scheduled shift
The General Laborercompletes their functional responsibilities in a consistent, professional, andvalues based manner, in order to demonstrate to the customer that Loramdelivers unrivaled customer service in a safe environment.
Safety Awareness: Identifiesconditions that affect employee safety and notifies the appropriate person;consistently upholds safety standards. Has knowledge of conditions thataffect employee safety under normal conditions; identifies conditions thatmight cause health or safety hazards and assists in the removal of suchhazards; understands most aspects of providing a safe environment.
Values Based: Recognized byothers to as living and teaching the Loram values, and appropriately respondswhen others behave in opposition to the values.
Learning on the Fly: Learns quicklywhen facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learning; open to change;analyzes both succession and failures for clues to improvement; experiments andwill try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks;quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
Action Oriented: Takes promptaction to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what isrequired; being proactive. Enjoys working hard; is full of energy for thethings he/she sees as challenging.
Hear from our employees
My time at Loram Maintenance of Way Inc., was far from boring. From the hands-on experience, to the abundant learning opportunities, to the appreciation Loram had for its interns; I can say that my time with this company has greatly shaped me to who I am today in my professional career.
Paige M. 2017 Intern
As a Mechanical Engineering Intern at Loram, I was quickly given independent, meaningful tasks across multiple projects. I built professional relationships with senior engineers and utilized these relationships to gain invaluable experience. I felt like I made an impact on the projects I worked on and most importantly, I learned how to apply classroom experience to solving real world problems.
Chet Halonen 2017 Intern – Mechanical Engineering