General Laborer - McMinnville, ORApply Now Job ID 5781287 Date posted 09/21/2017
The General Laborer, Fleet Operations is responsible for safely and efficiently supporting crew members who operate and maintain the railroad maintenance machines in accordance to guidelines set forth by the FRA, our customers, and Loram Maintenance of Way, INC. (Loram).
THIS POSITION STARTS AT $13.00 PER HOUR FOR NEW HIRES
Time and a half is paid after 40 hours per week. Typical work hours are 12-14 hours per day and 70-75 hours per week. Hours may be longer or shorter depending on operational needs.
Room for advancement: 90% of General Laborers who are employed with the company for 2 years receive a promotion in that time and 50% will have received at least 2 promotions.
Loram offers medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, 401K with match, and many other benefits.
There is NO per diem for this position. Employees are responsible for all personal expenses including, but not limited to, food, phone and laundry. Loram does pay for hotel/motel rooms and all work-related travel to and from the job site (flights, buses, etc.).
Major /Course of Study
Associate Degree (2)
Bachelor’s Degree (4)
1 – 2 Years
Demonstrated technical skills such as mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and machine operations
1 – 2 Years
Demonstrated ability to learn communicate verbally and in writing and learn best practices
*Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special licenses, other education, certification or professional memberships:
New Hire Training
Maintain railroad safety training and certifications
Loram Operating Rules Certification
All Loram Required E-Learning, On the Job, and 3rd Party Safety Training
- Pass e-RailSafe pre-employment background check
- Pass a pre-employment company hair follicle drug test
- Pass a post-offer employment physical abilities test
- Pass a motor vehicle check consistent with Loram’s Driving Policy
- Pass a pre-employment DOT drug and alcohol test
- Pass a pre-placement medical evaluation including DOT Physical Exam
- Can stand, sit, walk, reach, balance, stoop, kneel for long periods of time
- Ability to lift tools and equipment of 75lbs or greater
- Can hang onto grab irons or ladders, sometimes for extended periods of time
- Can see up close, distances, colors and has use of peripheral vision and depth perception
- Must be able to travel 100% of the time, including international, using any method of transportation
- Loram provides all work related transportation including transportation to and from your assignment for scheduled time off
Loram provides paid hotel/motel accommodations while you are on assignment
- Must be able to perform physically strenuous work outdoors in all types of weather
- Work will require extended time away from home
- Must be available to work irregular hours, including holidays, weekends, days and nights for long periods of time
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment
- Ability to apply high levels of cognitive, analytical, retention and reasoning
- Consistently follows safe work processes, procedures and rules
- Understands on track safety and can explain specifics when asked
- Able to locate all emergency equipment and demonstrate correct operation to superintendent
- Able to read and understand safety rules and regulations and perform tasks in accordance with those rules
- Must be able to pass the required examinations; read and understand safety instructions, operations book of rules, and Loram Standard Operations Procedures
- Must be constantly alert to changing conditions and events and take safe responsible action if required
Machine Operations and Technical Knowledge
- Able to explain basic equipment functions
- Cleans and lubricates equipment
- Inspects the machine to identify problems, defects, changes, and hazards; then communicate conditions to the operator or supervisor
- Demonstrates general knowledge of tools and uses them safely
- Repairs and replaces defective parts
- Performs maintenance and repair according to set schedules and policies
Communicating on the Job
- Understands and applies verbal/written instructions and asks clarifying questions to ensure understanding before beginning tasks
- Provides accurate feedback that allows machine leadership to make operating decisions
- Asks for feedback and clarification when necessary
- Effectively use a radio to indicate when to start, stop, or changes in a job task
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to operate as a contributing member of a team
- Consistently and reliably reports to work on time, including reporting back to work from time off
- Is consistently and reliably ready to work at the start of every scheduled shift
The General Laborer completes their functional responsibilities in a consistent, professional, and values based manner, in order to demonstrate to the customer that Loram delivers unrivaled customer service in a safe environment.
Safety Awareness: Identifies conditions that affect employee safety and notifies the appropriate person; consistently upholds safety standards. Has knowledge of conditions that affect employee safety under normal conditions; identifies conditions that might cause health or safety hazards and assists in the removal of such hazards; understands most aspects of providing a safe environment.
Values Based: Recognized by others to as living and teaching the Loram values, and appropriately responds when others behave in opposition to the values.
Learning on the Fly: Learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learning; open to change; analyzes both succession and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
Action Oriented: Takes prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive. Enjoys working hard; is full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging.
Hamel Office and Operations Profiles
Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc., provides some of the most sophisticated railway maintenance equipment to the railroads of the world. Complementing this equipment is a team of highly professional employees, dedicated to bringing the best in equipment and service to our customers. If “dedicated, professional and committed” are part of your profile, take a close look at the profiles of our team.More
General Labor and Field Operations Opportunities
As a General Laborer at Loram, you’ll have the opportunity to turn ambition into job satisfaction. Help us deliver advanced equipment, technology and services to the railroads of North America. At Loram, you’ll be supported by an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, great pay, and an opportunity for growth — everything you need to build a bright future.More
Life at Loram
We are strong community partners and participate in numerous community activities including the United Way fundraising, IOCP sleep out for the homeless, local holiday festivals, Women’s Initiative Network, and support our military with our 20/20 vision program – working to employ 20% of our workforce from those who have served in our military by the year 2020.Explore Minnesota Uptown Hamel I-94 West Chamber of Commerce