Superintendent, Rail InspectionApply Now Job ID 5608611 Date posted 09/01/2017
Responsible for the operation of a rail inspection vehicle (RIV) to collect track profile measurements and provide reporting for track quality assurance and planning needs.
- Calibrate equipment to specified guidelines and schedules.
- Perform rail inspection service program for railroad customers.
- Uses logic and methods to solve problems to find effective solutions.
- Assist in the maintenance of computer databases and other software files for the successful operation of the inspection and planning services
- Understand and adhere to general railroad and Loram operating rules.
- Troubleshoot electrical and mechanical problems.
- Clearly pass on instructions to Loram work equipment crews and customers in a timely manner.
- Work with the railroad for scheduling inspections.
Managing and Measuring Work
- Develop detailed work plans following inspections
- Manage inventory held on maintenance vehicle through company processes.
- Plans work based on length and task difficulty, develops schedules, and anticipates and adjusts for problems to meet objectives.
- Able to work independently.
- Safely operate and maintain rail inspection vehicle.
- Sufficient knowledge of railroad track and maintenance practices to make decisions on rectification activities required of the Loram machines.
- Budget for materials, supplies, motel costs, etc. utilized for operation of RIV.
Through data collection and analysis of Loram’s rail grinding service programs, this position ensures the most efficient application of the rail grinder to the rail conditions.
Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Communication: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Continuous Improvement: Originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas, and implementing solutions.
Engagement Readiness: Demonstrating a willingness to commit to one's work and to invest one's time, talent, and best efforts in accomplishing organizational goals.
Initiating Action: Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
Planning and Organizing: Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
Work Standards: Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
Values Based Leadership: Recognized by others as living and teaching Loram’s values and who appropriately responds when others behave in opposition to the values.
Major /Course of Study
Associate Degree (2 yr)
Bachelors Degree (4 yr)
1 – 3 Years
Related experience and/or training or an equivalent combination of both.
Experience working with rail defects.
*Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special licenses, other education, certification or professional memberships:
Maintain railroad safety training and certifications.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 100% or more travel including international, using any method of transportation.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to apply high levels of cognitive, analytical, retention and reasoning.
- Excellent communication skills used within any social context.
- Can stand, sit, walk, reach, balance, stoop, kneel, hear, taste and smell.
- Can see up close, distances, colors and has use of peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment
Hamel Office and Operations Profiles
Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc., provides some of the most sophisticated railway maintenance equipment to the railroads of the world. Complementing this equipment is a team of highly professional employees, dedicated to bringing the best in equipment and service to our customers. If “dedicated, professional and committed” are part of your profile, take a close look at the profiles of our team.More
General Labor and Field Operations Opportunities
As a General Laborer at Loram, you’ll have the opportunity to turn ambition into job satisfaction. Help us deliver advanced equipment, technology and services to the railroads of North America. At Loram, you’ll be supported by an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, great pay, and an opportunity for growth — everything you need to build a bright future.More
Life at Loram
We are strong community partners and participate in numerous community activities including the United Way fundraising, IOCP sleep out for the homeless, local holiday festivals, Women’s Initiative Network, and support our military with our 20/20 vision program – working to employ 20% of our workforce from those who have served in our military by the year 2020.Explore Minnesota Uptown Hamel I-94 West Chamber of Commerce