Safety SpecialistApply Now Job ID 6952148 Date posted 03/30/2018
Responsible for recognizing and evaluating potential safety and environment risks, and implementing control measures that are designed to eliminate or mitigate potential for illness, injury, and property damage resulting from human error, equipment operations, and machine operations.
Safety and Environmental Management
- Serve as a functional safety and environment expert and support for multiple business units.
- Develop and lead cross functional continuous improvement initiatives and assist in the development of training programs.
- Develop and integrate processes into daily operations to ensure long term success of a continuously improving safety culture.
- Recommend control measures for the design and use of maintenance machines and facility equipment to minimize risk.
- At times, lead incident and injury investigations and assist with developing action plans.
- Develop and implement systems, policies and procedures in both the safety and environmental space consistent with accepted industry principles and practices and recommend technical changes as needed.
- Drive consistent messaging and campaigns to connect with a decentralized and mobile workforce.
Safety and Environmental Compliance
- Interpret new and existing regulations and drive actions to ensure compliance with regulatory agencies and Loram requirements.
- Perform proactive risk assessments targeting reduction of incidents, injuries and damage.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the Safety and Environment Management System and support unit managers to ensure consistency throughout the organization.
- Conduct periodic audits and assessments of facilities, equipment, and operating practices.
- Compile, analyze and interpret statistical data related to exposure factors and monitoring data for trends.
Leverage systems, processes and industry best practices to ensure a safe environment for all Loram employees.
Collaboration: Clearly and succinctly conveying information and ideas to individuals and groups; communicating in a focused and compelling way that captures and holds others' attention
Decision Making: Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
Initiating Action: Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
Innovation: Generating innovative solutions in work situations; trying different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities.
Planning and Organizing: Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
Work Standards: Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
Values Based: Recognized by others to as living and teaching the Loram values, and appropriately responds when others behave in opposition to the values.
Major /Course of Study
Associate Degree (2 yr)
Bachelor’s Degree (4 yr)
Occupational Safety, and/or Industrial Hygiene
3 - 5 years
Relative safety experience.
3 - 5 years
OSHA knowledge and experience.
3 - 5 years
EPA regulation knowledge and experience.
DOT, FRA, ISO 14001, ANSI Z10 knowledge and experience.
*Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special licenses, other education, certification or professional memberships:
Maintain railroad safety training and certifications.
Six Sigma (Preferred)
Obtain yellow, green, and/or black belt certification.
Obtain the Certified Safety Professional designation.
This position is considered a safety sensitive role. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 30% or more travel including international, using any method of transportation.
- Ability to apply high levels of cognitive, analytical, retention and reasoning.
- Excellent communication skills used within any social context.
- Can stand, sit, walk, reach, balance, stoop, kneel, hear, taste and smell.
- Can see up close, distances, colors and has use of peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment.
Hamel Office and Operations Profiles
Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc., provides some of the most sophisticated railway maintenance equipment to the railroads of the world. Complementing this equipment is a team of highly professional employees, dedicated to bringing the best in equipment and service to our customers. If “dedicated, professional and committed” are part of your profile, take a close look at the profiles of our team.More
General Labor and Field Operations Opportunities
As a General Laborer at Loram, you’ll have the opportunity to turn ambition into job satisfaction. Help us deliver advanced equipment, technology and services to the railroads of North America. At Loram, you’ll be supported by an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, great pay, and an opportunity for growth — everything you need to build a bright future.More
Life at Loram
We are strong community partners and participate in numerous community activities including the United Way fundraising, IOCP sleep out for the homeless, local holiday festivals, Women’s Initiative Network, and support our military with our 20/20 vision program – working to employ 20% of our workforce from those who have served in our military by the year 2020.Explore Minnesota Uptown Hamel I-94 West Chamber of Commerce