Mechanical Engineering Intern - Summer 2018Apply Now Job ID 5683863 Date posted 09/11/2017
SUMMARY: Design equipment and products by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Assists in product or system design under the direct guidance of another engineer or designer.
2. Help determine feasibility of designing equipment or modifying existing equipment considering costs, time limitations, company planning, and other technical and economic factors.
3. Analyzes product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine possible design improvements.
4. Confers with research and other engineering personnel to clarify or resolve problems and develop/modify designs as required.
5. Prepares product or system layouts, detailed drawings, and schematics.
6. Prepares and compiles necessary calculations to support product designs.
7. Assists with machine or systems tests and compiles and organizes data.
8. Analyzes test data and reports to help determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
9. Perform engineering duties and subtasks in area of discipline of low complexity for a project or projects.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
1. The individual will learn and abide by established design practices and procedures to complete assignments.
2. Ability and willingness to learn the necessary design tools as required for area of discipline. (Inventor, Autocad 2D/3D,Solid Modeling, Finite Element Analysis, Promise, etc.)
3. Ability and willingness to learn application and integration design skills in area of discipline.
4. This is an intern level position that requires close supervision with little to no independent work.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: The individual must be pursuing a BS degree in an engineering discipline at an accredited engineering college or university and shall have achieved junior status or higher. The individual shall also have completed the “core” coursework for his/her chosen discipline.
COMPUTER SKILLS: Ability to use computer keyboards and screens to access information needed to perform the essential duties and responsibilities. Working knowledge of general-purpose business software to include Word and Excel. Working knowledge of general purpose engineering software relative to engineering group, such as CAD, Finite Element Analysis software and C++.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations as relative to engineering practices. Requires the ability to produce mathematical models and equations to support designs and solve these mathematical problems using algebra, trigonometry, and calculus.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit or kneel; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and balance on moving equipment. The employee is required to ascend machine ladders and enter tight spaces. The employee is often required to walk distances up to 1000 feet on rough terrain.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is required to hear normal audible discussions and warning systems.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may frequently work near moving mechanical parts, in outside weather conditions and is frequently exposed to vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Hamel Office and Operations Profiles
Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc., provides some of the most sophisticated railway maintenance equipment to the railroads of the world. Complementing this equipment is a team of highly professional employees, dedicated to bringing the best in equipment and service to our customers. If “dedicated, professional and committed” are part of your profile, take a close look at the profiles of our team.More
General Labor and Field Operations Opportunities
As a General Laborer at Loram, you’ll have the opportunity to turn ambition into job satisfaction. Help us deliver advanced equipment, technology and services to the railroads of North America. At Loram, you’ll be supported by an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, great pay, and an opportunity for growth — everything you need to build a bright future.More
Life at Loram
We are strong community partners and participate in numerous community activities including the United Way fundraising, IOCP sleep out for the homeless, local holiday festivals, Women’s Initiative Network, and support our military with our 20/20 vision program – working to employ 20% of our workforce from those who have served in our military by the year 2020.Explore Minnesota Uptown Hamel I-94 West Chamber of Commerce
- Manufacturing Project Engineer Hamel, Minnesota
- Senior Service Technician - TX Region Carol Stream, Illinois
- Service Technician/CDL Driver - Missouri Region - Friction Management Missouri
- General Laborer - Marshall, TX Marshall, Texas
- General Laborer (Canada) - Calgary, AB Calgary, Alberta