Engineer II, SoftwareApply Now Job ID 5004674 Date posted 07/19/2017
The role of the Engineer II, Software is to design, develop, and test software systems and applications in a challenging engineering environment.
- Analyzes software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Consults with hardware engineers and other engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software to determine/meet the operational and performance requirements.
- Communicate concepts, recommendations and solutions effectively with customers as well as management, verbally and in written format.
Design & Development
- Designs, develops, and tests software and database applications to meet customer/product requirements.
- Develops and implements procedures and documentation for software system testing, data validation and training.
- Must have strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Testing, Installation, & Commissioning
- Coordinate testing, installation and commissioning of software at customer sites.
Maintenance & Support
- Provide support and maintenance for existing applications
- Experience working with and developing engineering applications is a plus.
- Must have excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with customers as well as management.
Provide software design and development expertise and integrate the solution with available hardware platform.
Action Oriented: Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive. Enjoys working hard; is full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning.
Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Learning: Learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learning; open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything.
Technical Learning: Picks up on technical things quickly; can learn new skills and knowledge; is good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge; does well in technical courses and seminars.
Valued Based: Recognized by others as living and teaching the Loram values, and appropriately responds when others behave in opposition to the values.
Major /Course of Study
Associate Degree (2 yr.)
Bachelor’s Degree (4 yr.)
Computer science or related engineering field.
Software Design & Development
.NET, C#, ADO.NET, Entity Framework and WPF (programming in these environments)
SQL databases and other relational database concepts (MS SQL preferred)
OOA/OOD - Object Oriented Analysis and Design & GUI development
Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
Software testing experience
Developing engineering applications
*Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special licenses, other education, certification or professional memberships:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Up to 20% travel including international, using any method of transportation.
- Ability to apply high levels of cognitive, analytical, retention and reasoning.
- Excellent communication skills used within any social context.
- Can stand, sit, walk, reach, balance, stoop, kneel, hear, taste and smell.
- Can see up close, distances, colors and has use of peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment
Hamel Office and Operations Profiles
Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc., provides some of the most sophisticated railway maintenance equipment to the railroads of the world. Complementing this equipment is a team of highly professional employees, dedicated to bringing the best in equipment and service to our customers. If “dedicated, professional and committed” are part of your profile, take a close look at the profiles of our team.More
General Labor and Field Operations Opportunities
As a General Laborer at Loram, you’ll have the opportunity to turn ambition into job satisfaction. Help us deliver advanced equipment, technology and services to the railroads of North America. At Loram, you’ll be supported by an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, great pay, and an opportunity for growth — everything you need to build a bright future.More
Life at Loram
We are strong community partners and participate in numerous community activities including the United Way fundraising, IOCP sleep out for the homeless, local holiday festivals, Women’s Initiative Network, and support our military with our 20/20 vision program – working to employ 20% of our workforce from those who have served in our military by the year 2020.Explore Minnesota Uptown Hamel I-94 West Chamber of Commerce
- Manufacturing Project Engineer Hamel, Minnesota
- Service Technician/CDL Driver - Missouri Region - Friction Management Missouri
- General Laborer - Marshall, TX Marshall, Texas
- General Laborer (Canada) - Calgary, AB Calgary, Alberta
- General Laborer (Canada) - Red Deer, AB Red Deer, Alberta