Engineer II, ElectricalApply Now Job ID 3707873 Date posted 02/28/2017
Designs and develops systems, equipment, and products for industrial machinery.
- Analyze product or equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine possible design improvements.
- Help determine feasibility of designing equipment or modifying existing equipment considering costs, time limitations, company planning, and other technical and economic factors.
- Prepare product or system layouts, detailed drawings, and schematics.
- Prepare and compile necessary calculations to support product designs.
- Compile and analyze operational, test, and research data to help establish performance standards for newly designed or modified equipment or product.
- Analyze test data and reports to help determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Design and integrate industrial power distribution systems from 480VAC generator power down to secondary voltages.
- Design and integrate industrial automation and control systems including PLC controls, motor controls, and general machine design controls.
Communication and Leadership
- Provide technical information concerning manufacturing or processing techniques, materials, proprieties, and process advantages and limitations affecting long range product engineering planning.
- Confer and collaborate with other engineering personnel to clarify or resolve problems and develop or modify designs as required.
- Coordinate design efforts to meet production schedules and provide project task estimates and updates to project team.
- Perform and/or direct engineering duties and subtasks in area of discipline of moderate complexity for a project or projects.
Supports internal and external customers by designing new moderately complex machine systems and equipment and by solving moderate problems on existing machines.
Adaptability:Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Communication:Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Decision Making:Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
Initiating Action:Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
Work Standards:Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Major / Course of Study
Associate Degree (2 yr)
Bachelors Degree (4 yr)
3 – 5 years
Relevant experience with Bachelor’s Degree
1 - 3 years
Relevant experience with a Master’s Degree
*Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special licenses, other education, certification or professional memberships:
Maintain railroad safety training and certifications.
Working knowledge of business software including Word and Excel, Loram software including PDM/IFS, and proficient with 2D and 3D CAD.
Read and interpret various technical, operating, and process documents. Write reports and correspondence both technical and business related.Speak before groups of customers and/or company employees.
Work with and apply various mathematical concepts in conjunction with data gathering to support design decisions and problem solving.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 5% or more travel including international, using any method of transportation.
- Ability to apply high levels of cognitive, analytical, retention and reasoning.
- Excellent communication skills used within any social context.
- Can stand, sit, walk, reach, balance, stoop, kneel, hear, taste and smell.
- Can see up close, distances, colors and has use of peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment
I have reviewed the physical and mental demands of this position and:
___ I have no concerns about my ability to perform these tasks or
___ I do have concerns, and need to discuss reasonable accommodations.
Employee Signature: ____________________________________________Date: ____________
Hamel Office and Operations Profiles
Loram Maintenance of Way, Inc., provides some of the most sophisticated railway maintenance equipment to the railroads of the world. Complementing this equipment is a team of highly professional employees, dedicated to bringing the best in equipment and service to our customers. If “dedicated, professional and committed” are part of your profile, take a close look at the profiles of our team.More
General Labor and Field Operations Opportunities
As a General Laborer at Loram, you’ll have the opportunity to turn ambition into job satisfaction. Help us deliver advanced equipment, technology and services to the railroads of North America. At Loram, you’ll be supported by an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, great pay, and an opportunity for growth — everything you need to build a bright future.More
Life at Loram
We are strong community partners and participate in numerous community activities including the United Way fundraising, IOCP sleep out for the homeless, local holiday festivals, Women’s Initiative Network, and support our military with our 20/20 vision program – working to employ 20% of our workforce from those who have served in our military by the year 2020.Explore Minnesota Uptown Hamel I-94 West Chamber of Commerce