GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PURPOSE:
The Wellness Specialist is responsible for administering and maintaining all aspects of workers compensation and leave management programs while maintaining employee confidentiality. This includes interpreting and understanding the plans and policies as well as applicable federal and state laws in both the U.S. and Canada. The Wellness Specialist also assists in the planning, development, implementation and ongoing administration of company-wide well-being initiatives that align with the overall employee wellness strategy. Serves as a liaison between vendors and employees and advises employees on eligibility, coverage, and other benefits matters.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Disability Leave Coordination
Coordinate all workers’ compensation claims from initial intake to resolution, including facilitating return to work initiatives with work site management.
Administer complex leaves including FMLA/medical/disability in coordination with Loram’s disability insurance carrier.
Generate routine and ad hoc reports and conduct audits.
Instruct carriers, trustees, and other administrative agencies outside the company to effect changes in benefit program. Ensure prompt and accurate compliance.
Work with and serve as a backup for the Benefits Supervisor to ensure holistic coverage.
Mange benefits billing reconciliation and other electronic feed requests.
Wellness Program Administration
- Work with Wellness vendors and Benefits team to develop, coordinate and administer well-being programming to reduce employee health risks, improve well-being, encourage healthy lifestyles and increase employee engagement.
- Serve as primary point of contact for employee communications and questions about the wellness initiatives.
- Track employee wellness participation and any wellness incentives.
- Work with Wellness vendors to provide well-being best practices and trends to assist in building innovative and relevant wellness programming. Recommend program changes as appropriate.
- Manage and administer international benefit programs in compliance with state and federal employment laws. Includes recommending and implementing new plans, to maintain a competitive position in the labor market, with roll-out and employee communication plans.
- Conduct routine and ad hoc audits and reports for applicable benefits.
- Serve as primary contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators.
- Manage and maintain employee benefit files, ensuring accuracy of all benefit enrollments, and update employee payroll records as needed.
- Prepare and execute, with legal consultation, benefit documentation such as original and amended plan texts, benefit agreements, insurance policies, etc. to ensure legal compliance.
- Assist in the development of company bargaining proposals for employee benefits and analyzes union benefits demands. Obtain and prepare cost data for company and union proposals and final settlements.
- Administer new employee benefit information in Dayforce.
- Assist with various aspects of the new hire orientation process and annual open enrollment.
1. Values Based Leadership
2. Building Partnerships
3. Trusting & Transparent Based Communication
4. Process Management
5. Driving Execution
6. Technical Learning
Education: Associate degree in Human Resource, Communications, Business, or related field
Experience: 3-5 years’ experience in: Leave Coordination and Administration (Worker Compensation, Disability Management), Human Resource Administration (Auditing, Reconciliations, Records Management), Microsoft Office Applications including Excel skills such as v-look up, if then statements, and concatenations.
*Or equivalent combination of education and experience
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource, Communications, or Business or related field
Experience: 1-3 years’ experience in: Ceridian Dayforce HRIS, Canadian Workers Compensation and Disability Management, Traveler’s Workers Compensation, and Liberty Mutual Leave Management Process/System.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office deskwork, requiring sitting, walking, using phone & computer
- May lift up to 30 lbs. occasionally
- 5% or less travel including international, using any method of transportation.
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.