The Product Manager is responsible for the commercial viability of assigned product portfolio including performance, cost-effectiveness, and competitiveness from design through decommissioning. The role will i dentify and drive priority projects through the product development process with consideration for both manufacturing and operating needs. The role will contribute to long-term growth and profitability of products and services by identifying potential new product features or product improvements, conducting market and financial research, generating product requirements and determining specifications. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Product Development
- Creates a product / solutions strategy for all assigned products lines based on market and competitive forces. Updates strategy to reflect environmental changes as required.
- Recommends the nature and scope of changes to present and future product lines by reviewing product specifications and requirements; appraising new product ideas and/or product or packaging changes; determining and measuring project and product ROIs.
- Works in conjunction with Engineering and Marketing to manage all assigned product development initiatives by creating the functional specifications for new products or features. Brings products to market by analyzing proposed product requirements and product development programs; establishing time schedules with engineering and manufacturing; and acting as the Voice of the Customer in project and CFT meetings to ensure attainment of desired outcomes.
- Assesses and manages customer technical specifications for sold equipment in external tenders or negotiations. Oversees spare part identification; in conjunction with Sales and Aftermarket, identifies recommended spare parts and tools for equipment deliveries.
- Provides business case justification for all product development initiatives on assigned portfolio.
- Makes final judgement and signs off on ECRs and project changes orders for assigned portfolio. Monitors impact on cost-competitiveness of assigned Loram products.
- Assesses market competition by comparing the company’s product to competitors’ products. Work with engineering and manufacturing to control cost and machine configuration options.
- Scan outside industries for technology that could be utilized within the railroad industry.
- Work with Sales and Marketing team to understand customer buying behaviors and value drivers.
Marketing and Technical Support
- Support the Sales and Marketing teams through the sales cycle and tendering process with product differentiation data and features / benefits of specific equipment capabilities.
- Act as liaison between Engineering, Marketing, and Operations to ensure products meet strict client specifications.
- Support Aftermarket and warranty activities to include overhaul and upgrade opportunities. Develop and publish an upgrade catalog for assigned equipment to support Aftermarket sales activities.
- Effectively communicate the voice of customer for the life of the equipment throughout the organization.
- Develop and manage marketing specifications for all products and services.
This position ensures that Loram’s record of being a global leader in on-track maintenance is maintained by continued development of products, features, and services to meet the needs of expanding markets. In partnership with technical, operational and commercial peers, drives exceptional financial results for product portfolio.
Driving Execution: Translating strategic priorities into operational reality; aligning communication, accountability, resource capabilities, internal processes, and ongoing measurement systems to ensure that strategic priorities yield measurable and sustainable results.
High Impact Communication: Clearly and succinctly conveying information and ideas to individuals and groups in a variety of situations; communicating in a focused and compelling way that drives others’ thoughts and actions; and helps them understand, retain and engage.
Organizational Agility: Knowledgeable about how organizations work; knows how to get things done both through formal and informal channels; understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices, and procedures; understands the culture of organizations.
Problem Solving: Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspectives; is future orientated; can articulately paint credible pictures and vision of possibilities and likelihood’s; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
Values Based Leadership: Recognized by others as living and teaching Loram’s values and who appropriately responds when others behave in opposition to the values.
|| Major /Course of Study
| HS Diploma/Equivalent
| Associate Degree (2 yr)
| Bachelors Degree (4 yr)
| Advanced Degree
|| MBA or advanced technical area
| 8-10 years
|| Marketing or Product Development experience
| 5+ years
|| Experience working in an engineering or manufacturing environments
| 5+ years
|| Working with multiple complex projects simultaneously
|| Rail/Heavy equipment industry
|| Working with international client base
*Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special licenses, other education, certification or professional memberships:
| Railroad (Preferred)
|| Maintain railroad safety training and certifications.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Up to 30% travel including international, using any method of transportation.
- Ability to apply high levels of cognitive, analytical, retention and reasoning.
- Excellent communication skills used within any social context.
- Can stand, sit, walk, reach, balance, stoop, kneel, hear, taste and smell.
- Can see up close, distances, colors and has use of peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.