Interview Location: Hamel, MN
Job Title:Associate Financial Analyst
Reports to:Manager, Financial Planning Analysis
GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PURPOSE:
The Associate Financial Analyst is responsible for assisting with the financials, providing analysis, and reporting for assigned business segments.Participates in the budget and forecast processes.Analyzes variances and trends, identifies statistics and financial metrics to help business partners meet targets, and drives continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Analyze business segment variances between budget and actual, determine the root causes for variances, summarize and report on findings to business partners
- Assist with the business segment budget, forecast, and long-range plan while providing recommendations
- Participate in the design and maintenance of planning tool that facilitates an efficient and effective process to construct a high-quality budget and forecast
- Assist in creating financial models to assess opportunities; fundamental understanding of financial statements
- Assist with preparation of materials such as slide presentations, narrative documents, charts, graphs, reports, etc. for parent company and board of directors
- Responsible for the numbers, results, variances, drivers, and the associated narrative/story
- Develop relationships with business partners where FPA becomes the go-to resource
- Create reports or analysis that enable business partners to make decisions, accomplish goals, etc.
- Develop, maintain business metrics that align with business strategy
- Summarize and explain financial information and concepts to non-financial leaders in a clear and organized manner
- Partner with accounting to ensure accuracy of reporting and consistency between actuals and projections
- Partner with IT to ensure integrity of data across systems like general ledger, data warehouse, and planning software
- Ad hoc analysis and requests as directed by senior leaders
- Action Oriented
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- High Impact Communication
- Building Partnerships
- Passion for Results
Education:Bachelor s Degree in Accounting or Finance
Experience:0-2 years finance or accountingexperience; Intermediate/Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.; Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess proficiency in recognizing inefficiencies, creating and implementing automated reports, communicating clearly and frequently with people at all levels within the organization and comfortable asking questions that challenge the status quo.
*Or equivalent combination of education and experience
Education/Licenses/Certifications:Advanced Degree orCPA/CMA, MBA, CFA, etc.
Experience:Manufacturing industry experience, Report writing tools, ERP systems (IFS), Budgeting software (Prophix), BI tools, SharePoint, familiarity with OLAP environments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office deskwork, requiring sitting, walking, using phone computer
- May lift up to 30 lbs. occasionally
- 10% or more travel including international
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes challenging conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment