GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PURPOSE:
The Operating Technician Slot/SPS, is responsible for unloading specialized aggregate delivery system or performing ditching, tie pick-up or rail pick-up for the Railroad under their direction with little to no supervision. Perform regular maintenance of equipment, trouble shoot problems, and make repairs as needed. Must be willing to relocate or live in the Georgetown area ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Talent Development
• Attend continuing Company internal and customized training.
Accountabilities and Responsibility
• Operate Caterpillar 318 excavator or equivalent with oversized clean-out bucket reversed.
• Perform routine inspection and preventative maintenance, including but not limited to, diagnosing equipment failures and selecting the method of repair, performing mechanical adjustments (solely or assisted by a mechanic), use typical mechanic and electrician tools to test equipment, and dismantle, repair, and reassemble various components of equipment.
• Clean debris and lubricants from parts, work area, and equipment.
• Check and fuel vehicles and equipment.
• Perform work in technical areas such as fabrication, assembly, welding, burning, cutting, and pipefitting.
• Perform all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
• Communicate with customers.
• Complete routine paperwork as required.
• Send daily activity reports using Windows based phones.
2. Customer Focus
3. High-Impact Communication
4. Learning on the Fly
5. Problem Solving
6. Values Based
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: Minimum of 1 year of working knowledge working with MS Windows.
Minimum of 4 years’ experience using heavy equipment, including Excavator experience.
Licenses/Certifications: Maintain Railroad Certifications
Maintain a valid Driver’s License, in order to be insurable by the Company insurance company.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knows and understands operation, maintenance, and repair of specialized components of a Cat 318 excavator or equivalent.
• Working knowledge of hazards, safety precautions and operating limits of Cate 318 excavator or equivalent.
• Must have general knowledge and understanding of hydraulic, electrical, and mechanical systems of Cat 318 excavator or equivalent.
• Need to know how to use a computer.
• Knows and understands what it is to communicate with a customer.
• Skilled in the operation of heavy equipment.
• Ability to perform physical labor and heavy manual tasks under varying weather conditions to accomplish goals.
• Ability to safely operate, maintain, and perform minor repairs on heavy equipment.
• Ability to rapidly locate nearest source of help as necessary with limited resources.
• Ability to read and write; to understand and carry out routine oral and written instructions.
• Ability to make independent judgments which have considerable impact on the organization.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors, and the Customer.
• Able to travel extensively and work a minimum of 21 days in a row.
Experience: Railroad experience
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• 100% travel including international, using any method of transportation.
• Ability to apply high levels of cognitive, analytical, retention and reasoning.
• Excellent communication skills used within any social context.
• Can stand, sit, walk, reach, balance, stoop, kneel, hear, taste and smell.
• Can see up close, distances, colors and has use of peripheral vision and depth perception.
• Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment.
• Frequently work in high, precarious places and occasionally exposed to fumes and airborne particles and possible risk of electric shock.
• Work near moving mechanical parts and frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibrations.
• Work environment noise is usually loud.
• Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs. and occasionally lift or move up to 100 lbs.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.