Interview Location: Georgetown, TX
Job Title: Research Technology Engineer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Manager, Emerging Technologies
GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PURPOSE:
The Research Technology Engineer is responsible for conceptualizing, researching, developing, modeling, designing, prototyping, testing, and implementing technology-based solutions for the railroad industry.The role will focus on developing automation solutions, big data analysis, and algorithm development for cutting edge railroad research projects. Job duties will involve selecting appropriate technologies to integrate electrical and software systems, designing custom systems as needed, collaboration with pre-existing software products and teams, and implementation / evaluation of software and electrical systems. Candidate will be required to work with internal GREX engineering, operations and safety, and sales departments, plus external software, research, and customer partners to optimize solutions.This position requires the ability to integrate software, firmware, mechanical, electrical, nuclear technology, and strong writing skills to patent and present research and solutions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Analysis, Research and Problem-Solving Skills
- The ability to do both electrical and software development and testing
- Embedded systems applications design, ARM and FPGA development, firmware development, circuit design, experience in PCB design, analog and digital circuit design
- Performing C-family language programming, design, and development
- Development of Test Methodologies.
- Work on radiation / x-ray systems as needed
- Evaluate positive and negative aspects of competing technologies from the perspective of both the solution provider and the customer.
- Invent new solutions in line with company growth areas.
- Develop solutions within constraints of timeline, budget, functionality, and operational parameters.
- Give conference and customer presentations.
- Contribute technical expertise to current solutions based on evolving technology capability, performance improvements, and customer input.
- Work with individuals within the engineering and service planning departments on the practicality and need for solutions
- Produce technical conference submissions, and trade publication content related to new research and products .
1. Action Oriented
2. Passion for Results
3. Dealing with Ambiguity
4. Facilitating Change
5. Problem Solving
6. Values Based
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a software, electrical, or nuclear engineering field
- 3-5 years’ experience and ability to learnvarious computer operating systems, computer programming languages and environments, and data analysis software used in nuclear, electrical, and mechanical engineering fields.
- Experience in general imaging techniques, including computer vision, machine learning, image processing, segmentation, object detection/recognition, and statistical machine learning applied to big data .
Licenses/Certifications: Maintain Railroad Certifications
Maintain a radiographer license for the state of Texas (training provided)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of algorithm development, artificial intelligence / machine learning, machine vision
- Self-starting individual that can work both independently and within team
- Excellent technical writing and project management skills
- Ability to present at technical conferences and participating on technical committees
- Knowledge Linux and Windows platforms
*Or equivalent combination of education and experience
Education: Masters orDoctorate degree in the engineering field
- 5 years of experience with research and applied technology
- 2 years’ experience in regulatory requirements meeting and documenting radiation safety programs .
Licenses/Certifications: R adiographer license for the state of Texas
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency using nuclear modeling software for simulations and safety
- Nuclear imaging techniques, including processing methods, CT image generation, Fourier analysis, signal/stream processing, and image quality measurements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the role.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 20% travel including international, using any method of transportation.
- Ability to apply high levels of cognitive, analytical, retention and reasoning.
- Can stand, sit, walk, reach, balance, stoop, kneel, hear, and smell.
- Can see up close, distances, colors and has use of peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Can tolerate variable and sometimes extreme physical conditions during visits or inspections of company equipment in a railroad environment.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.